1. Remember to *ALWAYS* be polite.

Just because you are ‘right” it does not mean you will be successful MERELY by demanding your rights. Politely ask to speak with the police chief. Make an appointment if necessary. This step is very important. Please explain to your police chief that you are merely trying to exercise your rights under the law and would like to expedite the process so that it can be completed in a timely matter. Record the name of the chief or individual you meet with and make a note of the date and time. The more calls they get the more they will realize that there is a SERIOUS problem throughout NJ.

2. Inform the NJ State Police.

If you get no satisfaction from the police department, directly contact the Unit Head of the NJ Division of State Police Firearms Investigation Unit by calling (609) 882-2000. Explain the problem and ask him to intercede with the police chief of your municipality on your behalf.

3. Meet with your Mayor, Town Council or Municipal Attorney.

If you get no satisfaction from the Police Department or if they are non-committal, make an appointment with your Mayor and/or town council and/or municipal attorney to discuss this problem and ask politely for their assistance. You are trying to follow the law and you expect your town to comply with state statutes and to process your application in a timely manner. You are not asking for any special favors. You are only asking to be treated FAIRLY according to the law as it is written. However, if it becomes obvious during your conversation that your request is being ignored, you want to be SURE to mention that if the problem cannot be resolved, you will be forced to contact the County Prosecutor’s office to launch an investigation into the possibility of “OFFICIAL MISCONDUCT” This is a process you HAVE to go through in order to have standing if you need to take further steps. Please keep a journal of EVERYONE you talk to about this, with dates, times and basic result. Always be sure to try and get a specific time commitment as to when you can expect a follow up communication from the people you contact.

4. Contact Your Representative.

Some additional step if necessary. Contact the State Assembly Representative and State Senator for your district (you can locate them at http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/. Make an appointment to meet with them in person, if possible. At the very least make sure they receive the following request (in your own words if you like):

“I would like to ask for your help. I have lawfully applied for a Firearm Identification Card/Handgun Purchase Permit (whichever applies). I have already [provide an account of what you have done so far] and then briefly explain the problem “It has been X months since I applied”, “They keep losing my paperwork”, or whatever is the best description of your complaint. “I am asking for your help in convincing the ‘YourTownName’ Police Department to process my application in a timely manner.”

Make it clear that you have complied with all of the requirements in the NJ State Statutes. Also make a statement similar to the following:

“I would also appreciate it if you would contact the Unit Head of the NJ Division of State Police Firearms Investigation Unit about this matter. Perhaps you will be more successful in convincing him and or the Attorney General’s office to help. Many of my friends and associates from other towns are experiencing the same difficulties. I know that you agree that your constituents and the law-abiding residents of New Jersey deserve to be treated fairly by those who are sworn to uphold the laws of the state of New Jersey and I would appreciate it if you would intercede on my behalf”.


We have seen many police departments give priority to firearms permits and applications when residents write letters asking for the status of their applications. Jay Factor, a New Jersey based Second Amendment historian, has created a template for those that want to contact their police chief. This template can be accessed by clicking here.

6. Keep us in the loop!

Let us know what you are doing and the results. There are times when *WE* will want to add our “two cents” by writing to your representatives or by visiting your Chief of Police or Councilman with you (if possible). We will do our best to guide you through this process.

7. Trust the process.

We have seen applications that have been “stuck” in the process for months SUDDENLY become “unstuck” because individual citizens have taken the time to follow this process. We realize that we should not have to go through all these extra steps, but until we can change the attitudes of our legislature and the individual police departments, this may be the most practical way of expediting your applications.